1. Who are you and what do you do for The Offbeat?
My name is Jake Vaive, and I’m an editor for The Offbeat. That means I read some stuff, make some marks on it, and pass it along to another person to read it. I also help decide what pieces are going to be published in The Offbeat.
2. What do you love most about The Offbeat?
What I love most about The Offbeat is that anything goes. The pieces are weird, the covers are weird, everything about it is weird. It’s fun being a part of a journal that proudly does things differently than other journals.
3. What are your favorite kinds of Offbeat Stories?
My favorite kinds of Offbeat Stories are stories that are about inanimate objects with a mind of their own. Think Toy Story meets Edgar Allan Poe. Those are my favorite. Stories that are suspenseful, that keep me engaged and force me to think about what’s coming next.
4. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do?
If I could travel anywhere in the world and do anything I wanted, I would stowaway on Lorde’s tour bus and sneak into the crowd every night.
5. If you could live in any time period, what would it be and why?
If I could live in any time period, I would choose the future, like 2000 years from now. Except I would be the same age as I am now, forever.
6. What is one fact the Offbeaters MUST learn about you?
I sneeze a lot, like a lot a lot. Sometimes when I’m sneezing and people say bless you every time, they eventually just give up and ignore me completely. My record is 19 consecutive sneezes (while I was in the shower).